Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 8, 2010

True Blue

My Mom schooled me early on about the benefits of eating blueberries as they would routinely make their way into my bowl of hot oatmeal or cold raisin bran growing up in Oregon. The berry has eluded me over the years as I will use this post as a reminder to get blue in my diet each and every week. The benefits are truly amazing..berry, berry amazing.

Here are 3 of the numerous health benefits that blueberries have packed inside. The internet has heaps of information on this dynamic fruit.

1. Antioxidant capacity - very rich in vitamin C, E, A, complex B and copper. A very effective immune builder and anti bacterial. This is a defensive mechanism in itself.

2. Ocular health - blueberries have proved to preserve vision and contain a special group of anti-oxidants called Carotenoids and Flavonoids that are essential for your vision health.

3. Brain health - researchers found that diets rich in blueberries significantly improved both the learning capacity and motor skills of aging animals making them mentally equivalent to much younger ones.

DEFEND WITH BLUE
A well respected Doctor once told me that the first line of treatment for any patient is food, and not medications. I will now think of blueberries as being in the front line of defense.




No comments:

Post a Comment