Jumping rope is a great way to cross train for your exercise regime. It is a learned skill that takes patience and commitment if you are willing to go the distance and learn how. For beginners I strongly suggest the following to get a understanding of how you and the rope come together as one;
1. Find a rope that has alternating plastic colors (the grade school version)
2. Cut it exactly in half. Yep, do it.
3. Tie off each end so the plastic pieces stay on each rope (You now have 2 ropes)
4. Rope #1 for the right hand, rope #2 for the left hand.
5. Lightly jog in place with the weight on the mid to front part of your feet
6. Mix in the ropes with your light jog and let them hit the floor
7. Listen for the "click" on the floor as you continue your footwork
8. Keep your ear tuned to the sound of the click and create a rhythm with your feet
9. You will begin to learn how the flow of the feet and rope work together as one
10. Be one of very few to learn the skill of how to jump rope.
Be patient. It takes dedication and time to learn how to jump rope. There will be a point where jumping rope becomes a gliding motion as you get lighter feet and better rhythm. You will know when you reach this threshold and get much more out of the exercise.